Friday, February 7, 2014

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday...or Friday for me and Bluebonnet Parties!

Well, I missed blogging yesterday because I went to the Scholastic Warehouse sale and bought some books for my library. Then when I got home on the frigid night, I was putting my daughter down and ended up falling asleep until 12:30...oops!

Today was a CRAZY day, but fun! I woke up thinking and secretly hoping for a delay start, but that didn't happen, so we were running a little late to school all while trying to brave the freezing cold. People I live in Texas, we are not used to this cold weather and we definitely are NOT, I repeat NOT equipped for ice and snow, so quit making fun!!!

When I got here I had to get ready for my first round of Blue Parties for my students who have read at least 10 Bluebonnets. I decided to have a little fun and put blue in my hair!!!! We had ice cream with blue sprinkles and sprite with blue food coloring. We played a Bluebonnet Bingo I made and then a matching game, where the kids have to look at items that pertain to the book and decide which book it belongs to. I think they all really enjoyed themselves.

Back to the hair...I got a text from my mom in the late afternoon asking if my family wanted to meet them for dinner tonight. Uh oh...I have BLUE HAIR and did I mention I live an hour away, so I can't go home and wash it??? I still don't understand why more people don't carry shampoo around with them...LOL

I'm 2 days late and a dollar short, but I love nonfiction books, so I wanted to get in on the Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday, thank you to Kid Lit Frenzy for hosting this great challenge. I have decided to take on the challenge and read 1 nonfiction books per week.



Without further ado, here is my nonfiction picture book for this week...


The Cart That Carried Martin by Eve Bunting (Junior Library Guild, December, 2013)

This book is a great book or was a great book for MLK Day. I love the artwork and the way it really adds to the story. It is a sad, but heart warming story that the students would enjoy. It includes a back story of MLK and his assassination and then describes the day of his funeral. 

In Library News...
I bought some new books last night at the book sale and nearly froze my rear off in the warehouse. I had to use my scholastic dollars though, so I had to sacrifice.
I also got an email today saying my first HUGE book order is on its way...EEKK, I'm a little nervous, but super duper excited!!!

I'm taking a break from blogging for the weekend unless I think of something REALLY exciting!! Time to run...I have classes next week so I have to plan!!! Hey, maybe I'll add my lesson plans for next week??????
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment