Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday

Wednesday and in perfect Texas weather fashion it is absolutely BE-U-TI-FUL today!!

My book order came in today, my book order came in today!!! Yes, I did the happy dance and then promptly stopped when I realized I had A LOT of work to do to get the books ready for the shelf. Well, I am very proud of myself for several reasons...
1st- I was smart and paid for processing (I did the happy dance again, when I realized my work had been cut in half, or more than half)
2nd- I got almost all the books labeled with AR color dots and the AR label inside the book (I will add that to processing next time)

I had pictures, but I can't seem to get my email to work on my phone, so I will hopefully share them tomorrow:(

Today I am linking up with Kid Lit Frenzy for Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday

and I decided to go with her theme of presidents, since Monday is President's Day!!! I have a few books today...


Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library by Barb Rosenstock; published in 2013

This was a book I received from Junior Library Guild...I love getting my books every month because it is like Christmas and they are always pretty good books. This one is no different. I have found that I love biographies and I must say they have come a long way from when I was younger. Authors are taking a different route when writing them and the kids are enjoying them as well. This is a great book explaining how Thomas Jefferson loved to read (obviously), but the neatest thing about this book is that it has little facts about Thomas Jefferson embedded throughout the book. 


Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved to Read by Kay Winters; Published in 2003

This is a great book to read for President's Day. I really love the simplicity of the story and how the author relayed information to the reader in an easy way for young children to understand. The pictures add to the content as well and help keep the student's attention. Even though the story is written in a way that children can understand it easily, there is still room for explanation by the teacher.


Our Abe Lincoln adapted by Jim Aylesworth; published 2009

This is a great book for the younger grades because it is written in song to the tune of The Old Grey Mare. I think kindergarten and first graders would love singing the tune all while learning about Abe Lincoln at the same time! The pictures are cute and lead the reader to believe that it was a play performed by younger students. Check out this Youtube video of this man singing The Old Grey Mare (I hate to admit that I didn't know what the song or tune was until it started playing. I was a little embarrassed that I didn't know at first.) 

I hope all of you are able to use some of these next week in your class for President's day!

The answer to yesterday's Geoguessr Challenge was.......Lake Monroe in Florida! so, who can honestly say they were close??? I dropped my pin only about 100 miles away...at least I got Florida right!!!!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Abby - I love your choices. I almost could have done a full post on just Jefferson or Lincoln - they both have so many great books written about them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete